Monday, December 12, 2005

Syriana

The movie Syriana was a disappointment. I do credit them though, in trying to address the harsh realities that have become the tug of war in the oil rich regions and the powerful states looking to line their pockets with cash in exchange for a certain degree of access and rights in distribution of this natural resource. For the first time in a long time, I actually observed people walk out of a theatre midway through a movie. This, perhaps an indicator of the inconsistencies within the movie’s plotlines or interwoven storylines within the movie creating, for lack of a better description a spaghetti weave of storyline upon storyline. What, one might ask midway through, Matt Damon’s character in this movie, a partner at a Swedish investment firm, has in relation to Clooney’s character, a CIA agent with a history in the middle east who runs covert operations for his superiors in Washington? The answer is right at the end but the plot takes too long to unfold and has too many characters with significant roles to play within the plotlines. I’m hoping Spielberg’s ‘Munich’ slated to premier December 23rd does not have the same inconsistencies within it. Initial reviews have lavished nothing but praise on this movie some heralding it as relevant enough to address the underlying issues and interesting enough to keep movie goers glued to their seats for the entire time.

5 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Msanii_XL said...

Good looks on the "heads up" i was planning to go see this tommorrow..Matt damon is fav of mine..

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read the first line and scrolled to the bottom.Can't let you spoil it for me.And Msanii damn you again!!!!!Can't you let me come first for once?

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Nig-Nog,

y5 says he's alive and well, looking forward to toe-punt you to Depressastan shortly! And if your retort mentions the Dolts you'll be anointed #1 loser....hehehehehehehehehe!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Shaggy said...

I totally concur with you, the movie is a total flop. It not only struggles to marry the storylines but it's also too long and some guys did walk out in between the movie. All around sub standard acting from clooney, matt and all the arabic speaking actors. Do not waste your money.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Magaidi said...

msanii, I can't understand Matt Damon's choice of movies nowadays. I wonder if we've seen his best already...I can't wait to check out Munich though. In the meantime, 'King Kong' is getting surprisingly good reviews. I might just go check it out.

Acolyte..heed thee this voice. That movie wasn't all that it was played out to be but be my guest..

Y5 - Holla jamaa bana where'd you go? You have my email. You know what time it is though. Colts will go all the way jamaa and your pokes don't even have a prayer!

BJ, I'll think thrice before I go watch a Clooney movie anytime soon.I hear you, the movie was a mess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home