Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Torments From High School days

Magaidi
Tuned in to capital fm this morning to listen to ‘The Drive’ and inevitably stumbled into a discussion on the ‘monolization/rabblization/hazing’ e.t.c in high school. I’m sure most of us went through the same thing. My first day in high school was a challenge of sorts. Of course my old man, prompt as he is dropped me off at mid-day. I was one of the first dudes to arrive and have since been questioned by some whether my intention was to arrive early enough to make lunch on that day. My answers typically leave no doubts as to what I think of their mental abilities, lineage and their childhood including their backgrounds and where they were born. I remember on the first night two dudes were locked in a locker and told to sing each time coins were dropped in akin a juke box. Horror and amusement at the same time, I couldn’t help but laugh and be scared at the same time. Another episode involved a dude who was told to bleat each time he was called. It’s all funny when you look back at it but it wasn’t when you went through it. A buddy of mine, let’s call him Will, was waxing lyrical on a chic during a function when the on-duty teacher, who’d been herding people back for 5 O’clock roll call, got pissed and whacked him infront of the chic! That was as comical as it got. You can imagine a dude trying to impress a chic and along comes this instructor with a kane and proceeds to administer 'corporal punishment' on this poor soul. Reverberations were heard across the hall!. I know worse things have happened. Dudes being told to go fetch ‘darkness’ in a bucket, others were told to push 10 cent coins along a 100 yard corridor with their noses, others were being sent to buy 2 loaves, 5 biscuits and chewing gum with a kshs. 20 note and being told to bring change. I did have my moments – was once told to sing lullabies to grown men outside their cubes (which by the way killed any ambitions I had of being a singer), once woken up at 3 in the morning and told to dance like I was at a club. None though funnier than a guy on his way back to the dorm after buying bread at the cafe decided he couldn’t wait to eat it so he started chewing on his way back. He met a senior cop and was admonished for his ‘shao-ness’ – his punishment was to dig a hole right where he was since he had energy now after chewing the bread. The hole still stands, I hear, to this day!.

8 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Milonare said...

LOL

Fetch darkness in a bucket... Was he allowed to switch off the lights, proffer bucket and announce "here"?

I still shudder at memories of my rabble-days...

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the juke box thing is soooo funny, thanks for sharing and making me laugh

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

that was a funny post
i'd also heard of-sitting on a hockey ball with your legs straight

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Farmgal said...

the school my bro went to ..monoz would sleep in the fields to escape physical beating.
Glad i never experienced it.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Msanii_XL said...

Lmao...this is seriously funny us monos in my school did not have it this bad..the locker and jukebox story is ribcracking..

thanks for good laugh

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Ms K said...

Heh heh heh ati dig a hole??

Lakini you want to tell me Magaidi, in all honesty, that you didn't take the opportunity to revenge on the next year's rabbles?

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger M said...

Dude, LOL! I'm inspired to relive them experiences real soon!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Magaidi said...

@Milonare - Hey I shudder too but at the same time, I don't think chuo would've been the same without rabblization...that's just me!

@Nick - sitting on a hockey ball? Now that's torture banaaaaaaa...

@Farmgal - some chuos definitely took it too far. I hear some rabbles in shags burnt a dorm down. It has its limits but some falaas didn't care.

@ msanii - I thought I had it really bad until I met folks from Nyeri High, or some other chuos in Central province.

@MsK - I revenged plenty. Why not? I did wait till I got to 4th form though. Then you're so lazy and you have all the power, the thing I never did was tell a rabble to wash my plate/shoes/clothes e.t.c, after what I'd seen. In rabbleform I saw a dude wipe a guy's plate with a mop. Yuck!

@M - Relive them!! Re-live them! I can't wait to read!..And others too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home