Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Conduct Unbecoming and karaoke from hell

Magaidi

Ladies, gents and 'girly men' (pun intended!), the past week and a half will take a long time to fade from my memory. I met some of the most interesting people and some devastatingly boring lads whose names I will keep out of the book for now. After a busy two days of work in Los Angeles, and a ridiculously boring cocktail affair with grown men/women with drinking problems, I had a rather relaxing weekend, flew back and reported to work cursing and kicking - " I should be posted to that other side", I drive to work thinking on a misty and rainy monday morning - it's almost as cold as winter and my tropical senses yearn for the sunny venice beach and the rather scenic huntington beach.

I have been witness to 'karaoke from hell' - a rather drunk colleague decided to partake of karaoke and dancing, "my chance in the spotlight - and aren't we in hollywood?" he shouts in my ear as he sums up enough courage and gestures violently to the host, "here! here!!, I'll be shinging AKons' 'Lonely'". I hope to myself that tic tacs or mints are availble in plenty supply, or his mere breath will rekindle memories of garbage bins for some unsuspecting femmes. It's almost painful to watch but the lad kicks it off smoothly. If there are any talent scouts they'd have recognized immediately that they’re on the wrong side of California. I rise and head to the back of the room, the blaring sound system and the man shouting at the mic behind the speakers are a bit too much for my ears. I need to play pool or this place will bore me to death.

At this time the fellow with the mic is reaching a crescendo. singing is clearly not his thing but alcohol threw that ‘idea’ out the window. “I have no boodddyyyyy!!!....i’m on my owwnnnnnnn”, - true you are I have to admit, it’s getting emotional now, across the room my boss has this puzzled look on his face, you can almost see him say “is he singing or crying?”. I made a decision a while ago to never to attend work dinners because they’re boring, the conversation is dull, people talk about other people in the office – they might even tell you what other people say about you and simply, I keep my job and personal life separate! These theatrics should make great fodder for conversation by the water cooler in the office next week. My phone rings, its my baby gal, she’s arrived. That’s all I need, I’m out like the trash on a Thursday!

6 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

its been a long dream of mine to take part in a karaoke-just let loose and let it rip....

as for ur frustration-ati i wonder if u'll ever look at him in the same way again(i have a feelin he'll be lonely for a while)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Guessaurus said...

I can relate - I refuse to go to Xmas parties and things like that - especially when yu have to observe your esteemed colleagues dancing like they are on hot coals or are being electrocuted - definitely never look at them the same way again

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Magaidi said...

Nick - E-Sir said it best: usishike mic kama hujiwezi. beware what you wish for! I've seen the dude in the office, the story's running rampant in the grapevine, or so I heard.

@G - I hear you on that one. I figure some of them shouldn't be dancing period!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger WM said...

Just think of it as your stint at public service...some of the sting disappears that way.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

1.ok kijana we gotta talk-kwani which media player are you rippin wit...
2.weh cheza tu when i grab da mike...i even offered Sonny i do back up vocals for his music(ha ha ha) akanidismiss bila stress....ngoja one day i'll be on billboard...

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger akiey5 said...

I haven't been brave enough the Karaoke thing but if am to try it, Akon's smooth voice is the last thing I wanna try. The club would just kick me outta there. Pole you had to go thru that.

Now, don't hate me for this but am here to also deliver a book tag. Hope u enjoy it too:)
http://tafsiri.blogspot.com/2005/06/book-tag-read-passed-on.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home