Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Conversations

Magaidi
[Sidenote]: Mos Def was nominated for best actor at the B.E.T awards. Yet they want us to take them seriously! Even my neighbor's fish knew Jamie Foxx would take it.[End Sidenote]

A junior banker on my team came over to my desk last Thursday and told me she was planning on calling in sick the next day because she'd made plans to go to Florida. We have a strict vacation policy where I work, and the fact that everyone wants to take days off during summer to walk their cat, feed their racoon, grease their elbows and do wierd things all at the same time doesn't help. It's my duty and obligation to report abuses of the system here but I didn't partly because, well let's face it, I have called in sick while at the airport headed to Dallas for some gallivanting with Lady M and also, I like that she's bold enough to approach me. That means my 'open door policy' is working, maybe abit too well but nonetheless it's working.

Back at the office on Monday she approaches me again. She looks like a mess, has barely slept all weekend and if I'm not wrong, that's the same outfit she had on Thursday! She broke up with her boyfriend. Maybe this 'open door policy' is working abit too well for me. Ok OK..so they broke up, aparrently there was a big brouhaha in Florida and the boyfriend took his stuff and left her stranded at the hotel. She got back at 1 AM Sunday night. She's all teary. That's a sad tale and if I cared i'd have sent her home but there are two other people out. I know your heart is broken and you look like you've drunk a barrel of Jack Daniels and you've had an emotional weekend but there's work to be done. I don't make the work up, just so happens its there, so do it nagging migraines, heartache and all.

I hate it when people share their lovelife stories with me in the office. I couldn't care less. I know my Karaoke bud is going through a divorce and the dead beat couldn't care less, actually I think I care more than he does. I don't need to hear about how many kids you and your insipid duck-faced boyfie intend to have, I need to attend to client matters..and blog about it. By your looks, the less of you we have in this world the better if you asked me!

6 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tangu....

so true about lovelife episodes

I also hate when office people get this urge to share and half of the sob stories are just out of the blue shit just smacks you in face...these days its 'game face time all the time' 'ala' Timmy D....eish sometimes i hate being the only male in the team.. don't believe the hype people

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Guessaurus said...

Oh M, I hear you about office tales - trust me I know more stuff about people that I could happily live three lifetimes without giving an f. Why do people feel the need to share that kind of thing?

Summertime, staff shortages - I am going through the same kinda stuff myself....

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger M said...

He! I thought it was just me! I've even tried reading the paper and doing my taxes as tales are shoved down my throat to no avail!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Magaidi said...

@msanii..i've heard tales I cared not for! At first it used to be mild surprise. Now I nod in agreement and make the odd comment silently hoping they'll leave without being offended. Next to this, i'd need a sign on my desk - 'don't waste my time with your personal love story'

@G - I take most of my vacation winter time. No scheduling issues, less hassle, better vacation packages. I do pay for it during summer. I struggle with the idea of taking vacation just so I'm away from the office rather than taking it to actually do s'thing.

M - They're as relentless as used-car salesmen. Not even a polite 'I'm on a conference call' will send them their merry way!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Prousette said...

Whatever happened to a co-worker sharing their other lives with you? They would like to let you in to what they are after 5.00 pm or whatever time they leave the office and I will insist on giving the details....
*now I take off before you all crucify me.*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home