Monday, February 06, 2006

Gender Sensitivity & Education

Mr.Magaidi

I made a comment this weekend to a friend after a discussion on gender sensitivity that left her quite upset. I told her that as long as society views women’s problems as just that - ‘women’s problems’ and not society’s problems as an extension, then all these ‘women’s caucuses’, ‘maendeleo ya wanawake’, ‘educating the girl child’ initiatives championed by women would continue to lag in the back burner of society’s ‘hot stove’. I went on to explain that such causes had a delicate balance and needed a well-calculated approach, which I honestly don’t think we have. My bone of contention was the fact that all these societies are run exclusively by women, for women. I explained that it even seemed hypocritical to advocate for ‘gender equality’ while sitting on a board whose membership comprises exactly 12 women.

Her retort: No one understands women’s problems better than women themselves.

Am I missing something here?

3 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Whispering Inn said...

My friend you're doing jumping jacks in a mine field.
Of course you're right on point but women see you the way an African American would see a WASP lecturing him on affirmative action.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Prousette said...

Let me try.
Women are people first and foremost, with unique problems undoubtedly. The integration is kinda difficult because
-We do not trust the men to look out for us , I mean what do they know?
-Deep down most women view men generally not specifically as the source of the problems so we shall exclude them!
Lastly for a long time 'gender' was synonymous with 'women and their issues' so when you are talking equality it applies only to women not men.

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home