Thursday, February 24, 2005

the Kenyan Music Videos

Magaidi

Maybe it's hard for you jamaaz home to understand how difficult it is for us in the diaspora to get our hands on some Kenyan music videos. I got my hands on a handful this past weekend and I can assure you,..a synopsis of how I spenty my time:

*sometimes crossed over bare-chested laughing! at some who claimed they were "the only choice for Kenyan ladies" - I'm pretty convinced that this dude(s) should invest heavily in a mask(s) of choice before saying that to a camera/ well a live camera with any remote possibility of recording.

*other times straight down disgusted at some trying oh so lawdy hard! to bling. I mean, i've always been of the school of thought that if you can't do it as well as Diddy..please don't? It's pretty hard to floss with a blue Toyota celica..used in other videos by the way. Longombas beware ye!

*Few other times impressed by the quality of the work from Nameless' Juju, Sema's Leta Wimbo, JuaCali's and PiliPili's 'Kamata Dem..'

*Several Other moments, spent wondering what on Gods green earth! the directors of the videos had in mind..I'm talking about that 'Fever' video by Habib and Manga. I tell you ladies and gentlemen, a pretty good song, the video was the definition of garbage!..I man what was that ?!&%#$!@@#(!)! - As in [Worthless or nonsensical matter; rubbish: used in a sentence: Their advice turned out to be nothing but garbage]

*Many a Moments!* marvelling at the ease with which anyone not named Saddam Hussein could get their videos to Nation and they are actually shown. I mean, sons and daughters of Gikuyu and Mumbi took shots on camcoders, home movies...I wonder!

*All the time - with a sheepish grin on my face, at the unspectacular display of talent/or its lack thereof. I mean E-sir, K-South,Nameless, Nonini, Juacali...we do have an A-List talentwise and these lads are singularly on it. On the other hand..the rest? AAaaoooooooowiiiii!

4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

hey there finallly someone who agrees with me...i'd been accused of hatin somtime back wit regards to kenyan artists.
1.my main prob is not only the videos but even the music
-no has talent to wrute proper lyrics..many believe to be an artist u have to write produce sing....there's only one room for babyface
-a song doesnt have to be in swa to be kenyan

2.were u refferin to "finti-va" or fever by habib na manga!!!! LMAO
-what was wit the cheap ass matrix graphics that wentt o the extent of showing him fallin down....edit?!?!?!?!

3.Sema has potential god damn it

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Magaidi said...

Yeah fever banaa....aiiii! and the way I liked the song when I first heard it. What was with the cowboy outfits, horses? barns...what were they thinking???!!!..

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Ms K said...

LOL at the cowboy theme in that fever video.

Enyewe I think all Kenyan music videos are crap. That is my opinion. Compare Kenyan videos with South African videos. I rest my case.

And yes, Sema has some serious potential.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i'm kenyan damu from jo'burg and luv kenyan music. I came to luv them when i got here in SA, they have seriously messed up songs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home